Connect with us

Crime

UK court jails Ekweremadu 10 years, wife 5 years

Published

on

Share this story

The Central Criminal Court, also known as the Old Bailey in the UK has sentenced former Deputy Senate President Ike Ekweremadu, his wife Beatrice and Doctor Obinna Obeta to jail.

Ekweremadu was jailed for nine years and eight months, his wife Beatrice was sentenced to four years and six months imprisonment while Obeta received a 10-year prison term at a sentencing hearing on Friday

The sentencing is coming after their conviction in March for organ trafficking. The sick daughter of the Ekweremadus’ Sonia, was cleared of any wrongdoing.
The court found the trio guilty of facilitating the travel of a young man to Britain with a view to his exploitation after a six-week trial at the Old Bailey.

They criminally conspired to bring the 21-year-old Lagos street trader to London to exploit him for his kidney, the jury found.

The organ donor had been offered an illegal reward to become a donor for the senator’s daughter after kidney disease forced her to drop out of a master’s degree in film at Newcastle University, the court heard.

The verdict is considered the first of its kind under the UK’s Modern Slavery Act 2015.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Kidnappers highjack two Abuja-bound buses conveying passengers in Kogi

Published

on

By

Share this story

***Police confirms abduction of passengers

By Friday Idachaba, Lokoja

Two buses fully loaded with Passengers travelling from the Eastern part of the country to Abuja have been highjacked and passengers abducted in Inele-Eteke Ogugu new road in Kogi east Senatorial district

The two buses belonging to God Is Good (GIG) transport and Logistics company and the ABC transport company were highjacked while heading to Abuja by Kidnappers in Kogi state.

The source further discosed that GIG bus left umuahia at 7:30 am on Saturday on its way to Abuja.

GIG motor

GIG company it was gathered has contacted security services and they are tracking them.

Meanwhile the Kogi State Police Command has confirmed the Saturday kidnap of passengers aboard two Abuja-bound buses from the Eastern part of the country on Inele-Eteke Ogugu new road in Kogi East Senatorial district of the state.

The Command’s Public Relations Officer, Williams Aya (SP) made the confirmation in a statement made available to newsmen on Monday in Lokoja.

Aya who could not give the number of passengers however, confirmed that two buses were involved,

The PPRO said that the state Commissioner of Police, Bethrand Onuoha, immediately directed the Divisional Police Officer, Local Vigilantes and Hunters to comb the bushes with a view to apprehending the hoodlums and rescuing the victims.

He disclosed that Onuoha further deployed the Tactical Squad consisting of Quick Response Unit, Police Mobile Force, Counter-Terrorism Unit, as well as conventional Police personnel to the area to continue with the bush combing to ensure all victims are rescued unhurt.

Our correspondent gathered on Monday that the buses, one from GIG Motors and the other from ABC Transport heading to Abuja were intercepted by the gun-wielding hoodlums on the lonely road in Kogi state.

The victims were said to have been marched into the bush by the hoodlums leaving no traces.

According to the source, the GIG bus left Umuahia at about 7:30am on Saturday enroute Abuja adding that the GIG company said they had contacted security agencies.

Continue Reading

Crime

Gunmen kill two royal fathers in Ekiti, another escapes by the whiskers

Published

on

By

One of the murdered Kings
Share this story

***Fish out killers, Oyebanji orders security agents

Tragedy has struck in Ekiti State where gunmen yet to be identified laid ambush for two first class traditional rulers and gunned them down in a gruesome manner on Monday
The unfortunate incident occured on IRELE -Oke Ako road in Ikole Local government area of Ekiti State .

The slain traditional rulers are Oba Olumojo of Imojo Ekiti, Oba Olatunde Samuel Olusola and the Elesun of Esun Ekiti, Oba David Babatunde Ogunsola.

Another traditional ruler, Oba Alara of Ara Ekiti,, Oba Adebayo Fatoba escaped being killed by the whiskers

They were said to be returning from a meeting when the gunmen opened fire on them, killing two of the traditional rulers on the spot.

Governor Biodun Oyebanji who confirmed the killing of the traditional rulers in a statement ordered security agencies to immediately fish out the killers of the two traditional rulers.

In the statement signed by his Special Adviser on media and publicity, Yinka Oyebode, Oyebanji condemned the gruesome murder of the two traditional rulers.

The statement reads thus :
” Ekiti State Governor, Mr Biodun Oyebanji has condemned Monday’s dastardly attack in Oke-Ako area in Ikole Local Government, which led to the gruesome killing of two traditional rulers; and ordered security agencies in the state to fish out the killers.

“The two traditional rulers- the Onimojo of Imojo Ekiti, Oba Olatunde Samuel Olusola and the Elesun of Esun Ekiti, Oba David Babatunde Ogunsola were killed in an ambush by armed men while returning from a meeting.

“The third traditional ruler, the Alara of Ara –Ekiti, Oba Adebayo Fatoba escaped the attack.”

Oyebanji, said security agents have been despatched to the area to fish out the perpetrators of the heinous crime.

The killings were carried out barely one hour Governor Oyebanji presided over the state security council meeting in Ado-Ekiti.   

Continue Reading

Crime

Respite, as Nabeeha’s siblings regain freedom from the den of kidnappers

Published

on

By

Share this story

At last, the remaining four siblings of late Nabeeha Al-Kadriyah have been set free.

It would be recalled that the sisters were kidnapped alongside their father in the Zuma 1 area of Bwari Area Council on January 2nd.

Their father was later released to give him the leeway to source for ransom. However, the failure of the family to meet their demand within a deadline issued by the kidnappers led to the killing of Nabeeha.

After the young schoolgirl was killed by his abductors, the bandits raised the ransom from N60 million to N100 million with a threat to kill all the sisters.

The gruesome killing attracted sympathy from concerned Nigerians who offered assistance to ensure the remaining sisters were not killed.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Federal Capital Territory Police, FCT command, Josephine Adeh confirmed the release00 on Sunday morning.

The PPRO indicated that they were rescued by the FCT Anti-Kidnapping squad in a concerted effort with troops of the Nigerian Army.

She said the victims were rescued around Kajuru forest in Kaduna State, Saturday night.

“The operatives successfully rescued the victims around Kajuru forest in Kaduna state at about 11:30 pm on Saturday”, she said.

Continue Reading

Trending