***Urges security agencies to fish out masterminds
A protest in the Okpella community last month which led to the death of two youths and injuries on others has been roundly condemned by the Ukhomunyio Youth Association (UYA)
The Association in a statement signed by its National President, Omoalu Merry and General Secretary, Afiabor God’sluck Sunday, however called on the security agencies to fish out the organizers of the protest to face the full wrath of the law.
The association dissociated itself from the protest and lamented that all entreaties to dissuade the organizers from going ahead with the unfortunate action fell on deaf ears.
“We vehemently condemn it and call on the security agencies to come against the culprit,” the UYA said.
The UYA statement titled: “Our position on the violence of 28th day of June 2023 in Okpella and the need to bring culprits to book” reads:
“We the undersigned, Youth Leaders of Ukhomunyio Community, have reassessed the unfortunate and avoidable crises of 28 day of June 2023, which can only be best described as unfortunate and have decided to issue this press statement.
“The unfortunate protest cut short the lives of two vibrant young men and left few others with various degrees of injuries.
“We make bold to state that the said protest should have remained a myth than a reality if the organizers had listened to the voice of reason.
“We are peace loving people and as such will not subscribe to unnecessary youth unrest in our community.
“We understand and encourage peaceful protest of any form; borne out of genuine interest and intention, especially for the betterment of our community.
“But we must state unequivocally that we condemn any form of rascality under the guise of protest, which we undeniably saw on the 28 day of June, 2023.
“Protests do not just happen as a matter of leisure. They happen out of genuine interest. They come up only if and when peaceful engagements have been made with interested parties. It doesn’t take the form of ‘cult regroupings’ or strength showmanship.
“It’s a serious business and as such has rules and regulations. For avoidance of doubt, when the news of the intended protest filtered into our ears, we quickly called the organizers and asked them to stop it immediately as indications pointed that it had no genuine formation and character.
“We distanced ourselves from it as a community. But unfortunately, the organizers went ahead to put the entire community in a state of topsy-turvy and hullabaloo which it will take a very long time to recover from.
“Our old mothers and aged fathers were at the receiving end of the actions and reactions therefrom. It was definitely an eye-sore. We vehemently condemn it and call on the security agencies to come against the culprit.
“It was not an Ukhomunyio affair in any form and shape. As a matter of fact, they brought us disgrace and made us vulnerable to the Nigerian Army’s reaction.”
LP celebrates victory of Imo guber Candidate, Achonu, Party chair, Abure at Supreme Court
***says its end of the road for Apapa group
The Labour Party (LP) on Thursday rolled out the drums to celebrate the affirmation of its gubernatorial candidate for Imo State, Athan Achonu and the confirmation of Julius Abure as the party’s national chairman
The Supreme Court had dismissed an appeal brought before it by one Basil Maduka against the Labour Party over the rightful candidate of the party in the Imo state governorship election on the ground of locus standi.
A panel of five justices led by Iyang Okoro also cautioned the Appellant for abusing court process and wasting the time of the courts all through from the lower courts.
Two other respondents in the matter were Independent National Electoral Commission, (INEC) and the Lamidi Apapa led candidate, Joseph Ukaegbu, alias Ikenga, whose request to seek for a consequential order was also rejected by the Supreme Court.
National Publicity Secretary of the party Obiora Ifoh in a statement said with the judgement by the highest court in Nigeria, the Lamidi Apapa’s plot to hijack the affairs of the Labour Party including the powers to nominate candidates has finally come to an end.
Speaking to the media shortly after the judgment, the counsel to the Labour Party, Barrister Okwudili Anozie, said, “Today at the Supreme Court, the antics of Basil Maduka and his accomplice Joseph Ukaegbu, alias Ikenga, was put to an end as they met their Waterloo at the Apex Court.
“Today was a culmination of their deceit and lies to Imolites spanning from their misrepresentation of the true position of the judgments of the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal.
“Upon the exposure and collapse of their lies before the Supreme Court today, Basil’s Counsel, with tails in between his legs, immediately withdrew his subterfuge appeal that was aimed at giving credence to Ukaegbu’s sham, non-existent primaries.
“The Supreme Court didn’t entertain Ukaegbu’s counsel’s ignorant attempt to seek for a consequential order, which even a first year student of law knows cannot be sought by a Respondent especially in this case where the appeal was dismissed.
“Indeed, today has been a day of reckoning for evil doers whose sole plan was to stop the aspiration of Imolites in their determination to Take Imo Back through Senator Athan Nneji Achonu.”
Alleged Tinubu records saga: Group alerts on plot to undermine discovery case
The United Nigeria Group (TUNG) has claimed that President Bola Tinubu has allegedly deployed lobbyists to cause unwarranted delays in the judgment relating to the Chicago State University saga over his certificate the case of which is currently going on in the United States.
The group, in a press statement signed by its National Coordinator Dr Bright Emenena, said that the alert followed the intelligence of a meeting between the President and his cronies in Paris, the French capital.
The statement reads: “Bola Tinubu and a well-known Lebanese merchant based in France met in Paris and recruited a powerful Jewish American lawyer and a known political lobbyist in Washington DC as a consultant to lobby the appeal judge to delay the judgment scheduled to be delivered either this Friday or Monday next week or to their favour.
“This meeting and approval was given last night in Paris at 10 pm Paris time.
“The payments are millions of dollars in cash and with crude oil as bonus.”
It will be recalled that President Tinubu left the United Nations General Assembly session in New York last weekend, in the middle of a scandal arising from the Illinois Magistrate court ordering the Chicago State University to cause a full discovery of his academic records at the university.
It will also be recalled that President Tinubu had caused an emergency appeal to the court order, with his lawyers in the United States, filing their appeal on Monday.
The Chicago court hearing the case is billed to receive the filling of Atiku’s lawyers latest on Wednesday and judgement to be expected in a few days after.
Anti-rape body applauds judge for Life sentence of pharmacist over Sodomy
***Plans to honour Justice Akanbi-Yusuf
A foremost campaigner against Sexual and Gender Based Violence (Men Against Rape Foundation (MARF) has commended Justice Asmau Akanbi-Yusuf of the Abuja High Court for her verdict in the case brought against a pharmacist, Dr. Abubakar Mustapha Danraka for sodomising a – twelve year old boy.
Danraka was a former Chief Pharmacist of the National Hospital, Abuja, and Senior Special Adviser (Technical) to the Director of the National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development.
Delivering her judgment on September 18, 2023, Justice Akanbi-Yusuf found Dr. Danraka guilty of rape (sodomy) of the minor after luring him to his apartment and spiking his drink. He was charged and tried under Section 1 of the VAPP Act of 2015.
Reacting to the verdict, the Executive Director of Men Against Rape Foundation (MARF), Lemmy Ughegbe described the judgment of the court as a giant step in ridding the society of pedophiles and all sorts of sexual perverts.
In an electronic statement released by MARF and signed by the Executive Director, Ughegbe, he commended the judge “for being courageous, progressive and clear minded about the gravity of the crime committed against the innocent minor and the society.”
“This judgment demonstrates the zero tolerance of Justice Akanbi-Yusuf for rape, sodomy and sundry acts of sexual perversion. While we commend her for boosting our efforts to create safe spaces for our children and women by delivering a verdict that will serve as a deterrent to other sex predators, we call on other judges to emulate her proactive disposition towards eliminating sex crimes or putting away perpetrators for life”, Ughegbe stated.
“Our society is in direct straits of judges like Justice Akanbi-Yusuf and we must specially salute her for her judgment, which has and will go a long way in helping to save the society and our children from predators.
The Executive Director of MARF said the organisation has already resolved to present a special recognition award to Justice Akanbi-Yusuf for her landmark judgement, which will deter perpetrators and in turn make the society safer for children.
“This special award will not only serve as recognition of her progressive disposition to protecting children, it will also send a message to other judges that their work is being keenly observed and will get the needed recognition at the appropriate time”, he added.
Meanwhile, Ughegbe has also commended the dynamic and tireless leadership of the Director General of National Agency for Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), Prof. Fatima Waziri-Azi.
Her doggedness in leading the NAPTIP team has culminated in prosecuting the instant case successfully.
News From Kogi4 weeks ago
Echocho Challenges Tribunal Judgment ordering rerun in 94 polling units
Appointment2 weeks ago
Tinubu names El-Rufai, Tope Fasua, others in New appointments
Politics1 week ago
Ododo/Oyibo campaign in harvest of decampees as NNPP reps candidate, Amanabo Joins APC with Supporters
Appointment3 weeks ago
Reps member commends Tinubu over critical appointments for Akwa Ibom people
News2 weeks ago
Tribunal declares Nasir Gawuna, winner of Kano governorship election, as it Sacks AbbaYusuf
News From Kogi4 weeks ago
Tribunal voids Kogi East senatorial election, orders rerun
Agriculture1 week ago
Go back to the farms, Agric minister/PROJECT 774 National cordinator tells Nigerians
News From Kogi4 weeks ago
Natasha is the authentic winner of Kogi Central senatorial election, Tribunal declares